Thursday, May 8, 2008

New York... Now...

Alright...The time has come. I have now been in NYC for 21 months.... I guess I should start writing about my experience here, in lieu of all the arguments which regard experience as false representation of the real, etc.... (this theme will develop with time). During the 4 months prior to my move to NYC I lived right smack dab(?) in the middle of the Sierra Nevada (SV) mountain range in the beautiful state of California. I was afforded a 2 day interim between the lack of/ (fulfillment of) human presence that is the SV and the human overload that is Manhattan. Emotions whirled, people were lost who were rediscovered and others were lost for an indeterminate period. My interim consisted of a stay in a house on Lombard St. in San Francisco during THE most beautiful time of the year. During my time there I was actually accidentally locked on the rooftop 5 stories above the famous winding street, watching humming birds in a strange mating ritual which consisted of the male humming bird showing his sexual prowess via a strange dive bombing "song" ritual,while the female attempted to avoid his many plunges into the space above my view: An allegory for relationships which has stuck with me during my time in this strange place known as New Amsterdam.

So there I was Surrounded by the mass of people known as NYC, and confronted with an unexpected world full or opportunity and opportunity denied. A strange place full of worldly citizens, worldly voices, ignorance, brilliance, art, music, magic, death, fear, beauty, sex, hate, love, concrete and organics.... impossible to write, and yet full of imperatives/commands which force me to do so.... This blog will attempt to make possible the impossible, to match the real with fiction, and let all of you, my friends and companions, see what I see, read what I read in this strange urban geography, this desirous landscape, this odd economy, and exciting sphere... It is a microcosm for the world, and yet so detached from a real world, the other world of what this world is, that it seems like a fantasy lived, a nightmare deferred or a possibility to come... and come again if we all are lucky.... goodnight friends, stay posted. I look forward to sharing this strange trip/city/ "experience". Take care.

With Love
mmm...

1 comment:

Sean S said...

As long as you plug Obama, you've got a dedicated reader.