Monday, June 9, 2008

A Trick Question.

How long does it take to get from the Lower East Side (aka Delancey and Essex) to the Upper-upper west side (aka 110th and Broadway) @ 3am on a Friday morning, with the three members of the band/group Tornado Rider in tow? Well, if you are me, and I am assuming you are not... because I am me, and you are you and we are not that kind of we; then it takes you around two hours and four trains. I pondered this fact as I stumbled exhaustedly to my new apartment with my tornado riding friends, and thought how absurd the past two hours of my life had been, not to mention the last 7 days thitherto. Two hours during the early morning hours of NYC, journeying between the LES and the UWS is quite a bizarre experience, needless to say. My three friends and I, however, found a wonderful way to pass our strange time together. SHE-rades.... a very informal, impromptu/ improvised form of charades. Since we are men, we decided to limit our categories to female names. Charades in the nether regions of NYC turns out to be a great way to make time fly, whilst one waits in a kafkaesque stupor for trains which may or may not even arrive, or may or may not take you to your desired destination. I thank my friends for providing the possibility of this discovery.

As I watched the sun slowly creep over the horizon on that strange Friday morning, I came to the realization that the sunrise in Manhattan is a fabulous experience, as all of the early morning workers are either leaving their dreary, drunken, or exciting midnight establishments, or setting out for a new day of work, adventure and life. These two categories of New Yorkers stare bleakly into each others faces, wondering how the other half lives, and whether or not they are on the wrong side of the glassy stare. The nether regions of NYC at these moments are testaments to the vibrance of this city, of the continual flow of life, and the infinity of experiences which eek out a living therein. I have seen three sunrises over the past week as I celebrated my last days living in Williamsburg and my transition into manhattan. Each one has been informative, replenishing and punishing. I look forward to more, and less of these experiences. I guess that is all for now. Take care. mmm...

No comments: